"Reclaiming Homemade in a Small Space"

Friday, March 23, 2012

Butternut Squash and Sausage Breakfast Hash- Low Carb and Delicious!

A year or so ago, I got serious about losing weight.  I was desperate...I was at my highest non-pregnant weight.  So I investigated different diets and found one that I thought would work.  It was an elimination diet that started off severely limiting carbs.  We ended up hating the diet and not losing any weight, but something good DID come out of it.  This recipe for breakfast hash. I had a flash of inspiration and thought I'd throw together butternut squash, red bell peppers and turkey sausage.  It was sooo good.  The best part is that a serving is 225 calories a pop!  It also uses red bell peppers and butternut squash...powerhouses nutrient wise.  With a little prep the night before, this will be come a staple at your house in the morning!

Ingredients:
1 lb. turkey sausage
1 small butternut squash, about 3 c. diced (1/2 inch or smaller)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t. sage (or 3 fresh sage leaves, minced)
1/2 t. thyme
salt and pepper to taste (I used Cavender's Greek Seasoning)

*For fast prep in the morning, peel and dice your squash and bell pepper the night before.  Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin of the butternut squash.  Don't chop up the onions or garlic for overnight storage, it makes them bitter.

In a large skillet over med. high heat, brown your turkey sausage. (While the sausage cooks, dice up the onion and garlic.)

After it is completely browned, move it to a plate and keep warm.  Add the onions, bell pepper and butternut squash to the pan.
Add the sage, thyme, salt and pepper.  Fresh sage and thyme are best but it is still delicious with the dried stuff.

Cook the veggies until the butternut squash is soft and has taken on some color, about 10 to 15 minutes.  You may need to add a bit of water to keep the veg from sticking.  (I had to add 1/2 c. twice during this cooking)  Keep in mind, the smaller the dice on the squash the faster it will cook.  Add the minced garlic a couple minutes before the cook time is over.  After the veggies are all cooked, add the turkey sausage to the party.

Mix well and heat through. Check seasoning and adjust if needed.
This makes 4 servings.  It is one of my favorite things to have for breakfast (along with my faithful cuppa coffee!), I find that it keeps me fuller longer.  Did I mention how yummy it is too?  I hope you find it as satisfying as we have.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy.....I'm going to the store now for ingredients to make it in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know what you think! I had it yesterday and today for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried it and it was so yummy. I'll for sure be cooking this again. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete