"Reclaiming Homemade in a Small Space"

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Indian Spiced Glazed Carrots


I have a confession to make:  I don't follow recipes, usually.  Maybe if I am doing a recipe for the first time, I may follow it to a "T" but for the most part, recipes in my opinion are guidelines.  I can't tell you how many times I have followed a recipe against my better judgement and regretted ignoring my instincts. This is especially true when it comes to making veggies and side dishes.  Normally, I just "wing" it and make our family's side dishes right out of my head.  For the vast majority of the time, they are serviceable but nothing earth shattering.  One day, I was making glazed carrots and had a burst of inspiration.  In our fridge was some leftover chutney from some Indian fare we'd enjoyed. I also had a fair amount of garam masala in the cupboard as well. As Matt tried the carrots for the first time that night, I was anxious for his reaction. They were a hit!  The best thing is that this is SIMPLE and it has a bit of the exotic to it.  Here is my recipe for what I came up with that day...feel free to follow it perfectly or use it as a suggestion.

But "Wait!" you say, "What is garam masala? What is chutney??"  Garam masala is simply an Indian spice mix.  Much like curry powder, chili powder or cajun seasoning, it is a spice blend of several individual spices.  Garam masala is a blend of cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon, and other spices.  You can find it at the market or make it yourself.  I happened to buy mine.  It is at the center of many, many Indian dishes.  About chutneys....they are generally fruit, vinegar and sugar reduced down like a jam.  They normally have a savory element to them like onion or garlic.  There are lots out there and most have a bit of heat to them.  Even the mild one I used, was a bit spicy for the sensitive mouths of my children.   A mango chutney is what I used for this recipe, feel free to use whatever kind you want.

Indian Spiced Glazed Carrots
click here for a printable version
2 Tbsp. oil or butter
1 pound of carrots, sliced
1/2 medium onion, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. garam masala
3-4 Tbsp. mild chutney
Optional: raisins, black garlic , pistachios, crystallized ginger

Start out with a pound of carrots.  I prefer regular sized carrots that I peeled and sliced.  You can certainly use baby carrots, though they might take a little more time to cook.

Heat oil or butter, then add your carrots and onions. Cook until the onions have taken on some color and the carrots are beginning to soften.  8 to 12 minutes depending on how hot your stove top is.



Next, add the garlic and garam masala and cook 2 minutes.


Chutney addition is next,  add 3 to 4 Tbsp.



Cook for just a few more minutes to just make sure the chutney has come up to temperature.  Time to serve!


I added black garlic (YUM!) to this batch, but I have also used crystallized ginger.  Certainly you can add raisins or pistachios, they are often used in Indian cooking.  This a fabulous and QUICK side dish....good for you too!



No comments:

Post a Comment